This is my first post on my reading in the 7th Harry Potter book
Before the book even truly begins Rowling places two different writings, that I believe deal with some of the main themes of this book and the series; friendship, unity and death. In the poem by Aeschylus the lines that stand out the most to mean is the very last one "Bless the Children, give them triumph now." this is such a truth. The future of our world and any world, fiction or our otherwise, is in the youth, is in the ones we teach. why would there be teachers if we did not think that some hope for a better world did not in fact lie within them. And this has been an underlining theme throughout all 7 books, is that one day the McGonagal's, or the Dumbledore's would move on, and what they taught us was meant to teach others and to make a better place.
The 2nd writing that Rowling uses is from one of my favorite historical people, William Penn. The opening statement is truly what grasps me, and as it goes on reiterates the main themes of these books. "Death is but crossing the world, as friends do the seas.." Death truly is just another part of our story, just as we always knew it would be and was a part of these stories. From the beginning these stories dealt with death. And death clearly will be the end of this series. "Neither can live while the other survives." we knew from the time we read the prophecy how this book would end...
Sadly this book from the very beginning makes it clear to us how serious death is, and how Harry is going to be dealing with it until either he dies or he kills Voldemort. In the first Chapter we lose muggle studies teacher Charity Burbage, then we are reminded of the death that almost killed us, Albus Dumbledore, then Mad Hedwig and finally Mad eye. Its not going to get easier. In my first time through this book when it came out i was absolutely furious with the whole book. People being killed left and right and i felt like it was just one long camping trip.... I went into this book in the wrong mindset I had forgotten that I knew at some point all of this was coming.... I was not ready to accept the end... the end of all I had come to accept as part of who I was. I felt like part of me would be dying too... but that is clearly not true. I had to accept that like all things death is another part of life... a crossing of the bridge.....
The most important of these first few deaths is that of Albus Dumbledore. Not that the others did not share a special place, but I know I like Harry realized something.... We truly don't know those we are close to, until they are gone forever. As Harry was reading "Dumbledore Remembered" by Elphias Doge he realized how little he knew about him. Harry had only ever asked Dumbledore one personal question and that was about what he saw in the mirror and even then Harry believed that the answer was not truthful. Never had Harry asked about his brother and the goat, or of his great dual. And as I was reading I too realized that in the back of my mind I had wondered about the Goat, but never pursued it, had wondered about the dual but never gave it another thought. I too like Harry made the mistake of thinking I really knew Albus Dumbledore. Like everything in life we take it for granted when it is dead and gone.
Finally friendship is the greatest bond these books have given us. Harry's friends become to save him. Like any good friend he does not want them too, for the sole reason that they are risking their lives for him. Mad Eye even gives his life for him. George gives his ear, Fleur gives up a wedding in France. Harry's friends love him. They give up so much for him and he being a good friend wants to protect them. I know like Harry I would want to leave so as too keep them safe. But they wont have it. They have to stick together and as Harry point out trust one another. Here in this moment we see a glimpse of a character so important yet we know very little about.... James Potter. Lupin tells Harry he just like Him like so often we have read. Harry knew that because of James's friend he had died, but that did not change the fact that Harry knew that now more than ever they needed one another, they needed to trust one another, and like Dumbledore they all needed to see the good in one another... no matter what.
So as i begin this journey through the world of Harry Potter, in a more in depth way than i ever have before, I hope you join me in learning what is most important in life and not taking it for granted because at some point it will come to an end. That we will take our friendships seriously and will honor them... I know right now i need to work on that more than I ever have before. We will cross this world together.....
"Death is but crossing the world, as friends do the seas; they live in one another still. For they must needs be present. that love and live in that which is omnipresent. In this Divine glass, they see face to face ; and the their converse is free, as well as pure. This is the comfort of friends, that though they may be said to die, yet their friendship and society are, in the best sense, ever present, because immortal." -William Penn
Let us never forget many will come in to our lives and so they will leave but if there friendship is true to us and us to them the friendship will be Immortal...
It's Donnie from HPA. I have to agree with your blog so far. I know a lot of people who were disappointed by the 7th book. To me this is the best of the series (arguably the 5th). It has the most meaning and perhaps leaves more questions than answers.
ReplyDeleteThank you Donald, I love the 7th book now i have read it multiple times and am able to better understand where she was going even from the beginning, how she took every little detail we went over and made us see how important it really was.
ReplyDelete